Ukraine is preparing to liquidate the consequences of a possible terrorist attack by Russia on the occupied nuclear power plant in Zaporizhia.
“In the coming days, we will carry out appropriate exercises involving road closures and radiation checks. We want to group all the services so that we can clearly respond to any challenges,” said Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko.
According to him, citizens who want to leave areas affected by radiation will be provided with transport. He clarified that we are talking about the territory covering a 50-kilometer zone around the power plant.
If we take into account both the right and left bank, it is about half a million people – added the minister.
He also noted that the radioactive dust that will be present in the air after a possible terrorist attack will last for about a day. Therefore, he asked local residents to lock themselves indoors, turn off the ventilation and seal all openings in the houses with a damp cloth or tape.
Klymenko appealed that in the event of a nuclear catastrophe, the media should be closely monitored, as they will provide information about the current situation and security measures taken by the authorities.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday that Moscow was considering a terrorist attack on the nuclear power plant in Zaporizhia. “They've prepared everything to do it,” he warned.
Concerns about the safety of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant increased after a dam on the Dnieper River in Nova Kakhovka was blown up in early June, drains water for cooling the reactors in Zaporozhye. Assistant Secretary General of NATO Baiba Braže informed that the Alliance has a plan in case of a nuclear disaster at the power plant.
The Zaporozhian Nuclear Power Plant was seized in March last year, in the first phase of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. It is the largest nuclear power plant in Europe. It has six WWER-1000 reactors with a capacity of 950 MW each.